California Street Garden
Greetings! This is the current home of information about the garden being started behind the church building at the corner of California & Trinity Streets in Redding, California.
What we’re doing
- We are starting a garden in the back of the church building.
- We want to see a more vibrant downtown community and that includes food production.
- We want to help people learn about where their food comes from and to help people get fresh food year round.
- We also want to help restore the land so that a decade from now there will be food forests which require little to no human intervention while providing a host of benefits such as
Broadly this is called permaculture.
- air purification
How to help
If you’re interested in helping, great! However, we are in very early stages, so one of the biggest ways to help is simply to come up with a good, related idea, and make it happen!
Things we need:
If you’re a gardener with supplies to donate, we’re sure you know better than we what you might have that’s useful. Below are some items anyone might have on hand.
Mulch. This can be:
Compost. If you live in the area, please consider composting your food waste. Please, no meat or dairy. It gets stinky.
- Concrete wire
Volunteers. Email us to find out when you can help
- Assemble supplies (March 10 - ongoing)
Sheet Mulch (March 18)
- Plant (March 18 - ongoing)
- Assemble Structures (March 16 - 31)
- Vine trellises
- Herb containers / belligerence barriers
Who we are
We’re two young folks living in downtown Redding. Tyler works as a Web Developer and fancies himself a writer. Elizabeth works as an Office and Facilities Manager at Pilgrim Congregational Church and as Communications and Engagement Coordinator at Shasta Living Streets.